Thursday, March 25, 2010

The Stone Walls of Anarkali

My first love was for Meena Kumari
When her Pakeeza was on the silver screen
She accepted my love and sent me a gift pack:
A feeding bottle with a tin of baby food

Then came Waheeda Rahman
To guide my jeene ki tamanna;
Her presentation kit included
A set of baby dress and a toy gun

As Sarada was the epicenter
of sorrows and the pipe line of tears,
Sharmila Tagore was my next choice,
Her gift of tricycle was my first vehicle.

When I was at the age of dreaming,
Hema Malini became the girl in my dream,
With Rekha always accompanying her,
Every morning I swept away my broken dreams

I myself arranged Romeo
To elope with Laila
And Majnu (Qaiz) with Juliet
Now who would be my love bird?

Pyar kiya tho darna kya…
I am not matured enough to hear that line
Coming from my childhood Anarkali;
she is still behind the stone walls of social evils
________________________________________

Mallick ji, nostalgia makes me cry. If I want to cry, I will cry like a woman. I have no hesitation. That gives me relaxation. I am afraid of amnesia which will eat up my nostalgia. Thanks for your comments. With regards,
Yes Atreya ji, you are right. Every Anarkali has to be saved by breaking the stone walls of social evils. Soul mate becomes stale mate if the necessary step is not taken timely. Thanks for your comments. With regards.

Prem Nizar Hameed, Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
Mar 27, 2010
________________________________________

Dear Prem sahib, you bring tears in many eyes by remembering the artists who raised the bar in acting and projecting India's art and culture. They thrilled millions by their sterling performances. Best regards,

Kumarendra Mallick, Hyderabad
Mar 25, 2010
________________________________________

Prem, though your poem appears to be light-hearted and witty on the surface, the concluding line, “she is still behind the stone walls of social evils,” tells it all – serving as a pointer and delivering a message.

U Atreya Sarma, Secunderabad - 500 056
Mar 25, 2010

No comments:

Post a Comment